Apple Tea Cakes
The perfect afternoon tea cake, or even brunch cake, scented with cinnamon and topped with apples- a heavenly match. This cake is seasonally inspired, for fall and winter when the fruit choices slim down, and we are drawn to warming spices. This cake is gluten free and pairs wonderfully with a dollop of yogurt.
Author: Sappho Hatzis
Recipe type: Dessert, brunch, breakfast
Serves: 1- 8 inch cake
- 2-3 apples, cut in half and then in thin slices
- ¾ cup ivory teff flour
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ cup gluten free flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 stick butter, diced & at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 160c/ 320f.
- Grease a 20-23cm (8 or 9 inches) round tin or spring form tin.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients- teff flour, almond flour, GF flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, baking soda. Whisk to combine and break up any lumps.
- In another bowl, add the softened butter and the 2 sugars and cream together with a mixer or hand beater until pale and fluffy- 3-4 minutes. Add the vanilla, and then add eggs one at a time, beating well between each one. Add the yogurt, beating to combine. Next, gently fold in the dry mix in 3 batches until combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan evenly, and then top with apple slices, layering them in a circle starting at the edge of the tin and moving inwards.
- Bake for 30 minutes, and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it and cooling on a cake rack. Once cool, dust with icing sugar to serve.