Featuring seasonal favorites: trumpet and beech mushrooms, kabocha squash and ripe tomatoes. Made with Maskal Teff ivory grains, which pack a punch of protein and iron.
Author: Renee Byrd, Will Frolic for Food
- 1 small kabocha squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1½ teaspoon sea salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced + 1 more tomato for garnish
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 3 vegan sausages, sliced into thick rounds
- 1 cup mushrooms (oyster or beech), sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 small pinch saffron
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¾ cups Maskal Teff® ivory grain
- 2 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- De-seed kabocha and slice into half-moons. Rub with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and roast 20 minutes.
- While the squash is roasting, start the paella. In a 12" cast iron pan or paella pan sauté onion in remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil until caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes, bell pepper, sausages, mushrooms, lemon juice, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, saffron and paprika. Cook 5-10 minutes until browning and reduced.
- Add teff grains, vegetable stock and stir to combine. Cook covered 15 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Stir in roasted squash and place pan into the oven for 5-10 minutes, or until the top is crispy. Garnish with tomato wedges and serve hot.
- Optional: you can cook the sausages and mushrooms separately in olive oil and add to the top of the paella for a prettier final dish.