Teff, sweet potatoes, and cinnamon create a naturally sweet and savory vegetable fritter. Enjoy it plain or topped with yogurt sauce. Gluten Free and delicious.
1. In a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups water to a boil.
2. In a 6-quart stock pot melt 2 tablespoons ghee. Then add cumin seed and sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
3. Stir in grated sweet potatoes, carrots and onions and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, till brightly colored.
4. Add teff grain, fresh ground black cracked pepper, sea salt, turmeric and cinnamon and stir briefly to combine ingredients.
5. Turn off the heat, add the boiling water then resume heat.
6. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until water is absorbed. Turn off the heat and stir in greens and parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning as you like.
7. Set aside until cool enough to handle then shape the teff and vegetable mixture into patties.
8. Put the cornmeal on a large plate and lightly coat both sides of the fritter with cornmeal. Set aside.
9. Melt 1 tablespoon of ghee in a large skillet then fry fritters 3-4 minutes per side. Add more ghee as pan dries out. Repeat until all fritters are fried.
10. Serve as is or with a creamy sauce.
3 cups water
4 tablespoons ghee or organic virgin coconut oil
1 teaspoon organic cumin seeds
2 cups peeled and grated organic sweet potato
1/2 cup chopped organic onions or scallions
2/3 cups sliced organic carrots
1 cup brown teff grain
1/2 teaspoon organic cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon organic turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
Fresh ground organic black pepper, or to taste
1 1/2 cups organic spinach and/or wild fresh nettle leaves
2 cups chopped organic parsley
1/3 cup organic coarse cornmeal
The Teff Company grows Maskal Teff in the western USA, a non-GMO gluten-free grain that’s a superfood full of high quality complex carbohydrates, proteins, minerals, and fiber. Explore our website to learn how to make injera and find other teff recipes using our teff flour, a delicious compliment to Ethiopian food, Eritrean food, or any gathering.