A soft and moist coffee cake enriched with Maskal Teff® flour and topped with a walnut streusel topping is one you cannot simply refuse. Enjoy a slice with your coffee!
Vegan Teff Coffee Cake
Author: Tina Dawson, Love Is In My Tummy
Serves: 4-6 people, makes an 8″ cake
- ¼ cup Maskal Teff® ivory flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- A handful of walnuts, chopped (substitute with Gluten Free quick rolled oats)
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1¼ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, room temperature (soy is preferred)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or any other vinegar)
- 1½ cup Maskal Teff® ivory flour
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (substitute Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free 1:1 Baking Flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, granulated
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup dairy-free yogurt, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Prepare the streusel topping
- In a bowl, combine the teff flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, chopped walnuts, and dairy-free butter. Using your fingers, crumble the butter with the flour until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Refrigerate it while you make the cake batter.
Make the cake batter
- Line an 8” square cake tin with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Set oven rack to the middle position.
- In a bowl, combine the non-dairy milk with apple cider vinegar. Let it sit for a few minutes to curdle. It will look gritty and grainy, as opposed to clumpy.
- In another medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: teff flour, almond meal, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Stir well to distribute the ingredients.
- Make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients: olive oil, dairy-free yogurt, vanilla, and curdled milk.
- Quickly fold using a spatula until combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared cake tin. It’s important you work fast, because once the vinegar hits the baking powder, it starts to raise the batter.
- Top with the streusel mix and bake in the preheated oven at 350°F in the middle rack for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool in the tin, then remove cake from tin and let cool completely on the wire rack. Slice and serve.
Store in a clean, airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.