Honey and Spice Cake
This is the best Honey Cake I know of, and it happens to be gluten free and dairy free – perfect for celebrating the Jewish New Year. Also fabulous for breakfast or with afternoon tea. Delicious on its own, or topped with sliced apples and honey.
Author: Leslie Cerier
- 4 organic eggs
- ⅔ cup organic honey
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup melted organic virgin coconut oil + 1 tablespoon for greasing the cake pan
- 1 tablespoon organic vanilla extract
- 2 cups Maskal Teff® brown or ivory flour
- 2½ teaspoons organic cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon organic ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon organic ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon organic ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon organic ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon organic ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil a 9-inch round cake pan or a standard loaf pan.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Whisk in the honey.
- Add water, ¼ cup melted coconut oil and vanilla. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the teff flour, spices, baking powder, and sea salt until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing and eating – if you can wait that long!