Slow Cooker Teff, Millet and Bean Vegan Chili
- 4½ cups water
- 1 (15 oz/ 425 g) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz/ 425 g) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz/ 425 g) can cannellini beans, drained and save the liquid for
- 1½ cups pumpkin puree
- ½ cup Maskal Teff grain, brown or ivory
- ½ cup millet
- 1 cup sautéed onion (or 1 teaspoon onion powder)
- 2½ teaspoons chili powder (salt free blend)
- 1½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon ground cayenne or chipotle to taste (more = hotter)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (in addition to the amount added at the beginning of cooking)
- ½ teaspoon jalapeno powder (or more if you like it hot)
- salt, to taste
- Cashew cream
- Chopped cilantro
- Pickled jalapeños
- Add the kidney beans, pinto beans, cannellini beans, pumpkin puree, teff, millet, onion, chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, garlic, cumin, and cayenne to the crock of your 4-quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low 7 to 8 hours. Note: if you might be home late add an additional ½ cup water to give you some leeway.
- Before serving: stir in the nutritional yeast, tomato paste, oregano, and jalapeño powder. Stir well, then add salt to taste.
- You can serve as is in a bowl with a side of tortillas, in tacos, or even in a chili mac!
Some of the grains may stick on the bottom of your slow cooker. Just soak overnight and it will clean up easily in the morning.