Crispy Teff Waffles
A gluten free and wholesome waffle- light, crispy and delicious! This recipe makes 8 large waffles, and any leftovers can easily be stored in the freezer for quick mid week breakfasts. Just pop them in the toaster or oven and top with your favorite toppings!
Serves: 8 large waffles
- ½ cup Maskal Teff® ivory flour
- ½ cup gluten free baking flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cinnamon (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- 2 eggs, separated (use flax eggs for vegan option)
- ¼ cup of coconut sugar
- 2 cups plant or regular milk (I used a mix of hemp and almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a medium bowl mix together the flours, cinnamon, cardamom, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
- Melt your butter or coconut oil and set aside.
- Place egg whites in another bowl and using a hand held beater, beat the whites until you have stiff peaks.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks with the coconut sugar.
- Once creamy and well combined add your milk, and then melted butter or oil and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and whisk together until incorporated.
- Gently fold in egg whites.
- Let the mix rest for at least 5-10 minutes before spooning into hot waffle iron.
- Serve with nut butter, maple syrup, fruit and coconut yogurt!