Goat Cheese and Vegetable Quiche
Sautéed kale seasoned with scallions and basil makes a full-flavored quiche with a easy to make whole grain teff crust.
Author: Leslie Cerier
Teff Pie Crust Ingredients
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup Maskal Teff grain, brown or ivory
- Pinch of sea salt
Quiche Filling Ingredients
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups kale, sliced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup scallions, sliced
- 1½ cups fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 6 ounces chevre (soft goat cheese)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
Teff Pie Crust
- Make the teff pie crust first by bringing the water, teff and pinch of salt to a boil in a 1-quart stock pot.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Pour cooked teff into a 9-inch pie pan and spread it out over the bottom and sides of the pie plate to form pie crust. While the crust cools and firms, make the quiche filling.
- Heat oil in a medium sized skillet over medium high heat. Add kale, (½ teaspoon) salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes, or until kale is tender and bright green.
- Turn off heat and stir in scallions and basil. Taste and adjust flavors if desired.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs.
- Pour and spread the sautéed vegetables over the bottom of the teff crust.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the veggies. Crumble the chevre on top, and bake for 20 minutes or until the eggs set.