Potato Pancakes, aka Latkes for all Seasons
- 3 organic eggs
- 4 cups (2 pounds) organic potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and grated
- 1 organic apple, peeled and grated (1 cup)
- 1 small onion, grated (½ cup )
- 1 cup Maskal Teff® ivory flour
- 1 teaspoon organic cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Organic extra virgin coconut oil for frying
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl.
- Add potatoes, apple and onion to the bowl with the eggs.
- Stir in teff flour, cinnamon and salt and mix until well combined.
- Shape the potato mixture into patties about ½-inch thick and 3 inch round.
- Heat a heavy large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium high heat. Add and melt about ¼- inch coconut oil.
- In batches, fry the potato pancakes, turning over once or twice, until lightly brown, about 4 minutes each side. Add more oil, as needed.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
These potato pancakes are naturally sweet. Cinnamon, apples and teff flour make a quick and easy potato pancake. Also known as “latkes” they are delicious any time of day!