Estimate Prep Time: 5 minutes | Estimate Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- Rinse the shrimp and pat dry.
- Make an assembly line on the counter next to the stove with three medium shallow bowls:
- Combine the coconut, teff grain, and salt in the bowl closest to the stove. In the middle bowl, whisk the egg with 2 Tablespoons of water. Place the teff flour in a third medium shallow bowl on the other side of the egg.
- Cook the shrimp in two batches. Coat half of the shrimp with the flour, then dip in the egg, and then coat with the coconut mixture.
- Leaving the shrimp in the bowl with the coconut, heat 1-2 Tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. You can tell when the oil is hot enough when a piece of coconut sizzles on contact.
- Transfer the coconut coated shrimp into the skillet in an even layer. (If there are too many shrimps for an even layer, save them for the next batch.) Cook, leaving untouched, for around 2 minutes until the underside turns deep golden brown. Flip the shrimp with tongs or two forks and cook for another couple of minutes until the second side is deep golden brown and the shrimp curls into itself and is firm. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Once the pan has cooled a bit, wipe it out with a paper towel then cook the rest of the shrimp.
- Serve immediately