Cooked together arborio rice and teff grain make a sweet and savory, dairy-free risotto. Plant-based and easy to make vegan. Comforting and totally satisfying!
- 5¼ cups stock (see recipe in notes)
- 2 tablespoons organic virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves organic garlic, sliced
- 1½ cups organic onions, sliced
- Pinch of saffron
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup fresh organic shiitake mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 cup organic arborio rice
- ⅓ cup Maskal Teff® ivory grain
- 5½ cups rainbow chard and stems, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Optional: garnish with your favorite fresh grated cheese such as Parmesan or Pecorino Romano.
- Heat stock to simmering.
- Heat the oil in a 6-quart stockpot over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onions, saffron, salt and black pepper; sauté for 5 minutes or until the onions soften.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms, rice, teff. Continue to stir for 3 minutes to blend ingredients.
- Add 1 cup of hot stock to the rice, teff and mushroom mixture. Adjust the heat to maintain a lively simmer. Continue stirring until the stock is absorbed and then add another cup of stock. Repeat with the stock until the risotto is as tender and as creamy as you like.
- Stir in the chard and thyme. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if desired.
- Serve immediately garnished with cheese if desired.
Making your own vegetable stock is easy and adds depth to the flavor of this delectable risotto. Makes 6 ½ cups (you may only need 5 ¼ cups)
2 cups onion, sliced
1 ½ cup carrots, sliced
1 cup celeriac, peeled and sliced
1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
8 cups water
2 bay leaves
Bring the vegetables, dried mushrooms, water and bay leaves to a boil in a 6 quart pot. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Strain and discard the vegetables, dried mushrooms and bay leaves. Keep warm on low heat while you make the risotto.