Roasted Corn Teff Cornbread
- 1 ear corn, husk removed
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¾ cup Maskal Teff® ivory flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 cup full-fat yogurt (dairy or dairy-free)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup butter, melted (dairy or dairy-free), plus more for buttering the skillet
- 5-6 small sweet peppers, sliced into thin rounds, seeds removed
- 1 jalapeño pepper (more or less depending on your heat preference), sliced into thin rounds, seeds removed
- 3 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, shredded, optional
- Set the corn on the burner of a gas stove on low or under the broiler, rotating until around half of the kernels start to brown on all sides. Allow to cool then cut the corn off the cob and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the skillet in the oven to heat while you make the batter.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, teff flour, baking powder, salt, and smoked paprika. In another mixing bowl whisk together the yogurt, egg, butter, and ½ cup of water.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix to combine.
- Stir in most of the corn and peppers (reserving the rest for placing on top), and the cheese if you are using.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and put a pat of butter in the skillet. Tilt it so the butter coats the bottom and sides. Transfer the batter into the prepared skillet then top with the remaining peppers and corn.
- Bake until golden brown on top and a wooden pick or skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.
Store in an airtight container for up to five days.