Salted Chocolate Peanut Teff Bars
Chocolate and peanuts – you just can’t go wrong! Teff has chocolatey undertones and this recipe helps to enhance that flavor. A not-too-sweet treat that is easily transportable.
Author: Lauren Chandler Cooks; Photos by Dana Halferty
Recipe type: Dessert, snack
Serves: 16 - 2"x2" bars
- 1 cup brown Maskal Teff® grain
- ¼ cup roughly chopped roasted, unsalted peanuts
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup roughly chopped dark chocolate (1.25 ounces)
- ½ teaspoon flake salt
- Place a medium bowl next to the stove and a piece of parchment paper (1’x1’) on a cutting board. Draw an 8-inch-x-8-inch square in the center.
- In a large skillet, toast the teff over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally until the grains begin to pop, then stir constantly for even toasting as they continue to pop and smell nutty, 2 minutes. Transfer to the bowl, stir in the peanuts, and set aside.
- In a medium pot, bring the honey to a boil over medium heat. Right when it starts to boil and you see large bubbles across the surface, reduce the heat to low, lift the pot off the burner, swirl the honey around a few times by moving your wrist in a circular motion and return to the burner. Simmer for 1 minute (you should see small, continuous bubbles at the surface - increase the heat a bit if necessary) without whisking. Then vigorously whisk in the peanut butter so it is well combined. Bring back to a simmer (increase the heat a bit if necessary) for 1 minute while continuing to whisk. Turn off the heat then whisk in the vanilla and sea salt.
- Remove from the heat and use a wooden spoon to stir in the teff and peanuts then transfer the mixture to the parchment paper. Spread it out in a loose even layer to let cool for five minutes.
- Sprinkle the chocolate evenly on top. Use your fingers to press the chocolate into the teff mixture and to press all of it into an even compact layer in the shape of an 8x8-inch square. (You’ll notice some of the chocolate will melt and that’s fine.) You may use a spatula or gently press an 8x8 baking dish on top to even it out. Sprinkle the flake salt on top and gently press in with your fingers. Allow to firm up for 10 minutes, then cut into sixteen 2”x 2” squares. They will get firm as they cool.
- Airtight container for up to a month in the fridge and for up to three months in the freezer.