See easy approach in the notes!
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¾ cup organic cane sugar, or alternative
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup of apple sauce, room temperature
- 2 cups Ivory Maskal Teff® ivory flour
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoon coconut milk or alternative, at room temperature
- ½ cup toasted almonds, well chopped
- ¾ cup dark chocolate or 1 chocolate bar, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring apple sauce and coconut milk to room temperature.
- Melt coconut oil in a large mixing bowl (make sure it’s not hot – just warm).
- Add organic cane sugar, vanilla extract and apple sauce. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Add teff flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt. Stir until well combined. If mixture doesn't form to a dough ball add 1-2 tablespoons of room temperature coconut milk.
- Using damp hands form dough into long log. Make it as uniform in size and shape as possible for even baking.
- Bake 30 minutes or until just slightly brown on the edges. Let cool slightly on the baking sheet, then use a serrated knife to gently slice into ¾-inch pieces. Be very careful when slicing as it can crumble easily. Discard (or eat!) the end pieces as usually they are too small or overcooked.
- Gently turn the biscotti on their sides (they may break if you aren't careful) and return to the oven to bake for another 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool at least 15 minutes.
- While the biscotti are cooling, chop the almonds using a knife or food processor. Set aside.
- Add chopped chocolate to a bowl and melt using a double boiling method or microwave in 30 second increments, stirring until melted.
- Dip biscotti in the chocolate then quickly sprinkle with almonds before the chocolate sets up.
- Place on parchment paper to solidify.
After forming the mixture into a dough ball, use a small ice cream scoop to make dough balls.
Place on a cooking sheet.
Bake 40 minutes at 350°F. Let cool before adding chocolate coating.