Needing a little extra protein? Want an easy but tasty snack during or post-workout? This easy, no-bake energy bite has great staying power both in body and in the frig.
Teff Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Energy Bites
Author: Chef Christina Murray
Serves: about 35 tablespoon-sized bites
- ⅓ cup Maskal Teff® ivory flour, toasted
- ⅓ cup Maskal Teff® brown flour, toasted
- 1 cup coconut, shredded and unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup cashew butter
- 1 cup dates, pitted and soaked in water for 1 hour in the refrigerator
- ¼ cup flax, ground
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons plant-based vanilla or plain protein powder
- ⅓ cup gluten-free oats
- ¼ cup vegan miniature chocolate chips
- Toast the flours by placing both in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Flatten into an even layer in the pan and let heat for 1-2 minutes. Stir continuously until the flour has a warm toasty aroma and appears with a slightly toasted color.
- In a high-powered blender or food processor blend the coconut and coconut oil until smooth like butter.
- Add cashew butter, blend until smooth. Spoon into a large bowl.
- Drain the dates and blend until paste forms. If it's too thick add a few teaspoons of water. It does not have to be completely smooth. Fold into cashew butter mixture.
- Fold in flax, salt, vanilla and protein powder and stir until well combined.
- Stir in both flours.
- Add oats and chocolate chips.
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon at a time and roll into bite-size balls. OPTION: Line a baking dish with parchment and pat into dish, chill and slice into squares.