Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 banana
- ½ cup Maskal Teff grain, brown or ivory
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup water
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin, unrefined, coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon pistachios
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Peel and mash the banana. Set aside. Reserve a few slices for garnish.
- In a cooking pot, toast teff grains for 2 minutes over a medium flame.
- Add the milk and water. Stir.
- Add the cinnamon powder, cardamom powder, coconut oil, and sea salt.
- Add your mashed banana and mix all ingredients so they are well combined.
- Bring to a boil then lower the flame, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Keep stirring and scraping the sides and bottom of the pan as it cooks.
- It’s done when it all comes together like a porridge. Now add the vanilla extract. Mix well and take it off the flame.
- Add sugar or maple syrup if you want to increase the sweetness.
- Keep covered until you plan to serve it.
- Transfer to serving bowls. Garnish with sliced banana, saffron and pistachios. Drizzle some maple syrup on top.
Add some cocoa or cacao powder to this sweet porridge to give it a chocolate flavor. In place of almond milk, you can use oat milk or coconut milk.
Don’t forget the step of toasting the brown teff grains prior. It helps bring out its natural nuttiness. Also, never rinse teff in a sieve or you will lose the seeds with the water.