Vegan Coffee Cake
A soft and moist coffee cake enriched with Maskal Teff flour and topped with a walnut streusel topping is one you cannot simply refuse. Enjoy a slice with your coffee!
Recipe type: Breakfast, Dessert, Snack
Serves: 8" cake, 4-6 servings
For the Cake:
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (soy is preferred for the protein content but use whatever you have. I used Oat milk here), room temperature
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1.5c Ivory Maskal Teff flour
- ½ cup Almond meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup dairy-free yogurt, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the Streusel Topping:
- ¼ cup Ivory Maskal Teff flour
- 2 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A handful of walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free butter, chilled and cut into pieces
Prepare the streusel topping:
- In a bowl, combine the teff flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, chopped walnuts and dairy-free butter. Using your fingers, crumble the butter with the flour until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Refrigerate it while you make the cake batter..
Make the cake batter:
- Line an 8” square cake tin with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350°F. Set oven rack to the middle position.
- In a bowl, combine the non-dairy milk with apple cider vinegar. Let sit for a few minutes until it starts to curdle.
- In the meantime, in a medium mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: teff flour, almond meal, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, sugar. Stir well to distribute the ingredients well.
- Make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients: olive oil, dairy-free yogurt, vanilla, and the curdled milk.
- Fold using a spatula until combined.
- Working fast, transfer the batter to the prepared cake tin. It’s important you work fast, because once the vinegar hits the baking powder, its starts to raise the batter, and you want most of the rising to happen inside the oven.
- Top with the streusel mix and bake in the preheated oven at 350°F in the middle rack for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool in the tin, the remove cake from tin and let cool completely on the wire rack. Slice and serve.
Store in a clean, airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.