Teff Stuffed Peppers
When teff is cooked with tomatoes, basil, and a pinch of saffron, it becomes a delicious filling for bell peppers. Filling the bell peppers with hot cooked basil scented teff lightly cooks the peppers. (No need to bake the stuffed peppers, unless you prefer them soft.) Choose a colorful combination of bell peppers to create a festive dish.
Author: Leslie Cerier
- 2 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups organic onions, sliced
- 6 cloves organic garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground organic black pepper
- Pinch organic saffron
- 2⅔ cup organic diced tomatoes
- 1⅓ cups Maskal Teff® grain
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup organic fresh chopped basil leaves or ⅓-½ cup dried
- 6 organic medium bell peppers (any color, or combination) cut in half lengthwise, seeds and white membranes removed
- Heat the oil in a medium sized stock pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and saffron. Sauté for 5 minutes until onions soften.
- Stir in tomatoes and teff. Lower heat, and slowly add boiling water. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Stir in basil. Taste and adjust seasonings, if desired.
- Arrange the bell peppers in a casserole dish or large platter. Fill each half of pepper with hot cooked teff and tomatoes. Serve immediately, or let the teff cool and set about 20-30 minutes before serving.