African Peanut Stew
This creamy African spiced peanut stew is mildly hot, rich and satisfying.
Author: Leslie Cerier
- 2 tablespoons organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon organic ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon organic ground cayenne
- 1 teaspoon organic ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon organic ground fenugreek
- 1 cup brown Maskal Teff® grain
- ½ cup organic brown lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups boiling water
- 1 ½ cups organic carrots, sliced
- 1 ½ cup organic parsnips, sliced
- 1 ¾ cups organic diced tomatoes
- 1 cup organic smooth peanut butter
- 2 cups organic cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- Melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a 6 quart stock pot over medium heat.
- Add allspice, cayenne, coriander, fenugreek, teff, lentils and sauté for about 3 minutes to season teff and lentils.
- Lower the heat and slowly add boiling water. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until lentils soften.
- Add carrots, parsnips; simmer until tender about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, peanut butter, cilantro and salt.
- Turn off the heat. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if desired. Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.