Apple Teff Crumb Pie
We're putting our gluten-free Dessert Pie Crust to work two ways for this apple pie – as both the crust and as the crumbly goodness on top.
Author: Leslie Cerier
Serves: 1 pie
- Dessert Pie Crust, reserving ½ cup of the dough
- 5 large apples such as Rome, Mackintosh or Cortland varieties, sliced
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 Tbsp kuzu or arrowroot dissolved in ¼ cup of cold water.
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Make pie crust, reserving ½ cup of pie dough for the crumb topping.
- Simmer apples in a 2-quart sauce pan with a pinch of sea salt until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add in dissolved kuzu or arrowroot and cinnamon and stir until thickened.
- Pour into the prepared pie crust. Crumble remaining dough crumbs on top.
- Bake another 10 minutes or until crumbles turn a light brown.
Another tasty combination for a fruit filling is ½ cup of raisins, 3 sliced apples, and 2 thinly sliced pears with a pinch of sea salt. Cook per directions above.