Leslie’s Fabulous Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Scones
Recipe type: Breakfast, Brunch, Dessert, Snack
- 1½ cups Maskal Teff brown flour + 1-2 tablespoons for the pastry board
- ½ cup organic cocoa or organic cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 stick organic grass raised butter, grated
- ½ cup organic maple sugar
- ½ cup organic dark chocolate chips
- 1 organic egg (preferably pastured)
- ½ cup organic almond milk, homemade if possible
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, put 1½ cups teff flour, maple sugar, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Grate one stick of very cold butter into the flour. Toss and break up butter as you mix it into the flour and cocoa mixture. Add and stir in chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl whisk up one egg. Add and stir in almond milk and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in the flour; then pour in the wet ingredients.
- Stir briefly until it becomes a moist dough.
- Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons teff flour on a pastry board, knead it for 1 minute into the dough.
- Roll out the dough about 1 ½ inch thick into a round pie-like shape. Slice into 8 wedges.
- Bake on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes. Let them cool before eating then enjoy!