Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes
- ¼ cup Quinoa
- ¼ cup Maskal Teff grain
- ½ cup moong dal
- 1 tablespoon vegan ghee
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 cup chopped mixed veggies - carrots, green peas, and fenugreek leaves
- salt to taste
- 3.5 cups water
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ⅓ cup crispy chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon vegan ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon methi seeds
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida
- 3 green chiles
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chilly powder, optional
- Instant Pot
- Rinse moong dal, and quinoa under running water for 2-3 minutes. Do not try to rinse the teff grains else they will wash out from the strainer. They are very tiny.
- Turn on the Instant Pot in saute mode. Add vegan ghee. Then add and fry ginger garlic paste along with turmeric powder for 30 seconds.
- Now add the veggies carrots, beans, green peas, and fenugreek leaves. Continue to saute for another minute.
- Add the teff grains, along with the rinsed quinoa and moong dal to the pot. Now add water and salt. Stir it all together.
- Close the pot. Select Manual mode and place the pressure valve in the sealing position. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Release pressure naturally.
- Open the lid, pour the tadka on top. This texture should be slightly watery. Mix. It will thicken as it cools.
- Then garnish with chopped cilantro and crispy Chickpeas for that extra crunch and flavor.
- Heat vegan ghee in a tadka pan. Fry cumin seeds, methi seeds, asafoetida, green chillies, and Kashmiri chilly powder for 10 seconds. Pour this over the Khichdi.
- You can also add some lemon juice on top to give this detox/cleanse kitchari a tangy flavor.
Add more veggies and greens of your choice to up the nutritive value.
Add rinsed and drained canned chickpeas along with the grains if you don't want to add the crunchy ones at the end.
After adding water, deglaze the pot so that nothing is sticking to the bottom. You can totally skip the tadka if you want and eat this healthy khichdi plain with some vegan ghee on top.
When you open the Instant pot, if the moong dal teff quinoa khichdi is very dry, then turn on saute mode, add ⅓ or ¼ cup of water and cook it for 1-2 minutes or till you get the desired consistency.