Tofu Vegetable Teff Quiche
This quiche is easily customizable – just add your favorite veggies. Try anything from red bell peppers, carrots, zucchini or kick it up with some jalapeño pepper.
Serves: 6 servings
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup of Maskal Teff ivory grain
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 pound of soft tofu
- 1 Tbsp umeboshi vinegar
- 1 tsp dried basil or 1 bunch fresh dill
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion or leek, sliced
- ½ pound of sliced mushrooms
- 1 stalk and florets of broccoli, sliced or 2-3 sliced leaves of kale, or a small bunch of sliced asparagus
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Boil 3 cups of water. Add teff and salt. Simmer for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Pour cooked teff into a casserol dish or large pie pan and spread out evenly to form crust.
- Blend tofu, vinegar and basil or dill. Add salt and pepper and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a fry pan and sauté garlic with onion or leek.
- Add mushrooms and other veggies of choice. Cook until tender and are bright in color.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the tofu mixture with the sautéed vegetables.
- Pour the vegetable tofu mixture onto the teff grain crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the tofu turns a light brown.