- Dry ingredients
- 1 ¼ cup (181 grams) Maskal Teff ivory flour
- ⅓ cup (49 grams) brown rice flour
- ½ cup (57 grams) ground flax seed
- ¼ cup (36 grams) sweet rice flour
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Wet ingredients
- 1 whole egg, room temp
- 1 egg white, room temp
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup almond milk, room temp
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- For the end of mixing
- 1 teaspoon baking soda + 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Combine first 8 ingredients and mix well.
- Next, add the eggs, vegetable oil, almond milk and vanilla and mix until all are well combined – do not over mix!
- Dissolve your baking soda in 1 tablespoon vinegar in a small separate bowl. Once it is ready, approximately 5-10 seconds, then add to your cake batter and mix in well.
- Pour batter into your cupcake tins until about ⅔ full. Bake for approximately 20 mins. The cupcakes may still look very moist but as long as a toothpick comes out clean it should be ready to remove. Let them cool for about 15-20 minutes in the cupcake tin then transfer to a cooling rack. Decorate with butter cream frosting once they have cooled completely - approximately 1 hour.
Recipe below is for decorative frosting but this recipe may be halved if thinner layer is desired.
1 cup softened unsalted butter
3 cups powdered sugar, can add more if needed
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-6 teaspoons of almond milk; add 1 teaspoon at a time as needed
1. Beat butter until soft and creamy then add powdered sugar a little at a time (about 1 tablespoon at a time). This can take several minutes but the butter and powdered sugar should be well combined. Scrape down the sides of bowl as needed in between.
2. Add in your vanilla. This may loosen up the frosting quite a bit but if it seems like your frosting is still too stiff to work with you can add about 1-3 teaspoons of almond milk. A small amount can go a long way so be sure not to add too much at a time.
3. Frost your cupcakes and enjoy!