Teff Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
A steaming cup of coffee and a slice of lemon poppy seed cake maybe one of the best ways to start the day. Especially when it's gluten free and vegan! Feel free to add some icing on the cake for a fancier presentation.
Author: Leslie Cerier
- ¼ cup boiling water
- ½ cup Maskal Teff™ grain
- 1 cup Maskal Teff™ flour
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ cup poppy seeds
- 1½ cups apple juice
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup corn oil or canola oil
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup vanilla soymilk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- In a small mixing bowl, pour boiling water over teff grain. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine without sifting teff flour through poppy seeds.
- In a separate bowl blend room temperature wet ingredients – apple juice through vanilla – together.
- Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients. Add teff grain and mix throughly.
- Pour into a large cake pan or 2 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until an inserted knife or toothpick comes out clean.