Vegan Quiche with Teff Crust
Author: Edgar Castrejon, EdgarRaw
- 1¼ cup cauliflower
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp black salt or to taste
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 4 roasted garlic cloves or 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- ½ cup coconut bacon (optional)
- ⅓ cup olives, sliced
- 1 cup Maskal Teff™ flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp pink salt
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 3 flax eggs (instructions below)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Boil cauliflower for 20 minutes on high or until semi-soft. Set aside.
- For your flax egg take a small bowl, add 3 Tbsp of ground flax seed and ⅓ cup + 1 Tbsp of water. Mix well and let it sit.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl combine dry crust ingredients (teff flour through oregano) and mix well. Add flax eggs, water and coconut oil.
- Press the crust mixture into a 10-inch tart mold and bake for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- While that's baking add soaked cashews, boiled cauliflower, and nutritional yeast through lemon juice in a high-speed blender. Blend until you get an eggy look and consistency. Do not blend until smooth – the texture won't turn out the same. Make sure it has some chunks of cauliflower still in the filling.
- Stir in cauliflower, zucchini and coconut bacon, if using, and spread across cooled crust. Top with olives.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350°F.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and serve.