Vegan Teff Pistachio Biscuits
- 1 cup Maskal Teff® ivory flour
- ¼ cup + 3 tablespoon oat flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 green cardamom pods (optional)
- ¼ cup banana, mashed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon cane sugar (optional)
- 2 pinches of salt (optional)
- ¼ cup raw pistachios, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- In a bowl, combine the flours, baking powder and salt. Stir well and set aside.
- In a mortar and pestle, pound the green cardamom until the skin separates from the seeds. Discard skin and continue pounding on the seeds until it is a coarse powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the mashed banana, olive oil, brown sugar. Whisk until the sugar dissolves.
- Stir in the vanilla, ground cardamom and milk. Fold in the flours until you get a soft dough.
- Using a tablespoon measure, scoop out the dough and roll into a ball. Place on a medium baking tray and press down into a circle about ⅛” thick. Repeat until you run out of room on the baking tray. I needed to bake them in two batches.
- In a bowl, combine the cane sugar and salt. Sprinkle the tops of the cookie with chopped pistachios, and a scant pinch of the sugar-salt topping.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 350°F/180°C for 20 minutes, until the bottom, is crisp and golden brown. Cool on a baking rack and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
If you think these biscuits feel a little dry, dunking in coffee or milk is recommended.