Teff Energy Bars
A great homemade alternative to commercial energy bars, this recipe is easily customizable to your favorite nut butter, seeds and dried fruits.
Author: Laura Shoemaker, Flying M Coffee Garage, Nampa, ID
- 2 cups Maskal Teff™ grain (ivory or brown)
- 1½ cups gluten free oats
- 1⅓ cup almonds, chopped
- ¾ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup flax, sesame or sunflower seeds (or a mix of the three)
- 3 Tbsp flax seed meal
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1¼ cup nut butter
- 1½ cup dried fruit, chopped (a combo of dried cherries, blueberries and cranberries work great)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix teff grain, oats, almonds and seeds together and spread evening on a rimmed cookie sheet. Bake 20 minutes, stirring halfway through for even toasting. Let cool.
- Mix ⅓ cup water and flax seed meal together. Set aside.
- Place maple syrup and ¾ cup water in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Bring up to boil, reduce heat and let simmer 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine toasted ingredients, flax meal mixture, hot maple mixture, cinnamon, vanilla and nut butter. Let cool 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in dried fruit.
- Press into lightly greased pan. Let cool in fridge then cut and store in the fridge or freezer.