Indian Spiced Vegetable and Teff Fritters
- 1 cup cooked Maskal Teff® brown grain, cooled slightly
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cracked pepper
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- ¾ cup water
- 1 small onion, diced
- ⅓ cup washed and chopped cilantro
- 3½ cups of mixed chopped and grated vegetables - I used white sweet potato, carrot, broccolini, dandelion greens
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh turmeric root, grated
- Oil for frying
- Cook the teff as per packet instructions and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl add the curry powder, red pepper flakes, salt, cracked pepper and sifted chickpea flour. Make a well in the middle and slowly add the water whisking until you have a nice smooth batter.
- Toss the onion, cilantro and veggies in a bowl with the grated ginger, turmeric and the teff. If you are using potatoes or zucchini squeeze the excess liquid out of the grated vegetables first.
- Use your hands to mix well.
- Add the batter, stirring well.
- Using a large frying pan (I used cast iron skillet which works very well) heat the oil to 375°F (190C). Spoon the mixture in carefully and shallow fry in small batches until golden, around 5 minutes, flipping them over half way. Drain on paper toweling and serve immediately.
I served these fritters as pictured on hummus with chopped onion, tomato and cucumber.