- 1 egg: large, organic, pasture raised at room temperature
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar, Stir Sweetener or organic cane sugar (both work great!) I used cane sugar in this recipe to create a lighter color, but also tested it with Stir Sweetener and it baked beautifully)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup olive oil or coconut oil or ghee melted (I loved Texas Olive Ranch Olive oil or Tin Star Foods Ghee: I used olive oil)
- 1 cup (127 gr) Maskal Teff™ Ivory Flour
- ⅓ cup almond flour (I loved the new Trader Joe's blanched almond flour)
- ⅔ cup gluten free flour blend * see recipe below (or try Bobs Red Mill All Purpose flour, blue label only) or Spelt flour for a non gluten free version
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon aluminum and gluten free baking powder (at high altitude use half a teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (at high altitude use half a teaspoon)
- zest of 2 lemons or 1 orange or 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
- Variations: add in ingredients: 1 cup berries: raspberries, or blueberries or cherries or mixed berries or frozen cranberries or chocolate chunks or pecans (I used raspberries)
- ⅓ cup fresh raspberries
- ½ cup Swerve Confectioner's sweetener
- ½ cup coconut milk powder
- 1or: simply decorate with Coconut milk powder
- Preheat convection oven to 345F° (173 C)
- Grease a loaf cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Sift almond flour, ivory teff flour, gluten free flour, baking powder, baking soda + salt.
- In a medium bowl: with a whisk by hand mix egg, vanilla, maple syrup, sweetener of choice + olive or coconut oil and buttermilk.
- Add the sifted flour mix and combine. Add the zest of choice and mix.
- Add the add in ingredients of choice (reserve a few to put on top of the cake), mix batter lightly with a plastic spatula.
- Pour batter onto prepared cake pan. Bake for aprox 30 mins or until tooth pick comes out clean.
- Remove cake from pan.
- Let cool and decorate with the glaze.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and stir with a whisk until raspberries are crushed and pureed. Strain to remove seeds.
- Check the consistency to adjust and thicken or thin accordingly. To thicken add more coconut milk powder, to thin add some almond milk.
I used this wonderful all purpose gluten free flour blend from Erica’s all purpose gluten free recipe from A Little Insanity.
Mix and then measure:
(All flours are Bobs Red Mill)
67.2 gr Brown rice flour 67.2 gr White rice flour
67.2 gr Sweet Rice flour
67.2 gr Tapioca flour (aka Tapioca Starch)
2.2 gr Xantham Gum
Pour all of the ingredients into an extra large bowl and mix until well incorporated this will take about 3-5 minutes with a whisk. Do not skimp on the mixing… otherwise, the ingredients will not be blended appropriately and will not achieve the same results.
Store flour in an airtight container.