Sweet Teff Dahl
Author: Edgar Castrejon, EdgarRaw
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 thumbs fresh turmeric or 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- 1 cup Maskal Teff® grain
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup orange lentils
- 1½ cups canned tomatoes or fresh chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Pinch of black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- Scallions and parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Heat oil in a 10" fry pan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 2-3 mins.
- Add garlic, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, coconut sugar, and 2 tablespoons water. Sauté for 3 min.
- Add vinegar and mix well for 2 minutes.
- Stir in Maskal Teff grain, lentils, and the remaining water. Raise heat to medium-high and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix well. Let simmer 15 additional minutes.
- Season with salt and black pepper and cover with lid. Cook 7 more minutes.
- Turn off heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Right before serving, add orange juice and mix well. Garnish with scallions and parsley.
- Great served with rice, Greek yogurt, and naan bread. Enjoy.