This is a great, simple, versatile, and nutritional flatbread. It can be enjoyed with dips, as a breakfast toast, as a base for pizza or salads, and comes together quickly with just a few ingredients.
Teff & Chickpea Za'atar Flatbread
Serves: 12-inch skillet makes about 8 slices
- ½ cup Maskal Teff® ivory flour
- ½ cup chickpea (garbanzo) flour
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1½ cups filtered water
- 2 tablespoons za'atar
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, ground flax, nutritional yeast and salt.
- Make a little well in the middle and add 1 tablespoon oil and the water. Whisk to combine. Let rest in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes.
- About 15 minutes prior to cooking the flatbread, preheat the oven to 400°F and put a large cast-iron skillet inside to heat (you can use any ovenproof frying pan/ skillet). Once the skillet is hot, remove from the oven. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in and swirl to coat the bottom.
- Pour the batter into the middle of the pan and allow it to spread naturally.
- Switch the oven to broil and return the pan to the middle shelf for 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the za'atar. Cut into 8 slices and enjoy while warm.