Comfort food! Here is a hearty, delicious pot pie loaded with vegetables and seasoned with herbs. Perfect for a chilly day. And best of all, the gluten-free buttery pie crust is easy to make. Enjoy!
Vegetable Pot Pie with Teff Crust
Pie Crust – makes top and bottom crusts
- 1 cup Maskal Teff® ivory flour
- 1½ cups white rice flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) grass raised organic butter
- 10 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 - 8-ounce package, organic soy tempeh, diced or cut into small bite-size pieces
- 1 cup organic potatoes, diced and sliced thin, ¼ inch thick
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground organic black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup organic carrots, diced
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ cups organic shiitake or white button mushrooms, sliced
- ¾ cup diced organic celery
- 2 teaspoons organic thyme leaf
- 1 teaspoon organic ground sage leaf
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a food processor, combine the dry ingredients – flours, salt and baking powder – in the work bowl with the blade in. Pulse one or two times to combine.
- Spread a little butter on the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan. Slice the rest of the butter into 1 tablespoon pieces and add to the work bowl of the food processor. Pulse a couple of times for one second each time until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal and no large pieces of butter are visible.
- Add the water to the flour and butter mixture and pulse a few times for about one second each time until the dough starts to hold together.
- Split the dough in half. Reserve ½ the dough for the top pie crust.
- Roll the bottom half of pie crust out on a pastry board to about 12 inches diameter; no need to add flour to the board.
- Transfer the pie crust to the prepared pie pan (either slide it in or wrap the dough around your rolling pin). Don’t worry if it is not perfect. Use your hands to fill in any broken areas and press the dough into the pan gently. Flute the edges if you like. Poke a few holes in the dough with a fork.
- Bake pie crust for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Heat and melt the ghee in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat.
- Add tempeh, potatoes, salt and pepper. Sauté for 5-10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add and sauté carrots for about 3 minutes, or until they turn bright orange.
- Add the water, mushrooms and celery. Sauté and simmer 3-5 minutes or until celery turns bright green.
- Turn off the heat. Stir in thyme and sage. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Pour the warm pie filling into the pre-baked pie crust.
- Roll out reserved dough, for the top pie crust, and cover the pie with it. Seal or flute the edges of the top pie crust with your fingers. Poke a few vent holes or cut a few slits in the middle of the top crust.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!