Gluten Free Teff Sandwich Bread
Author: Used with permission from Marjorie June’s Legacy Kitchen
- 2 ½ cups (338g) Maskal Teff™ flour (brown or ivory)
- ¼ cup (50g) tapioca starch
- ⅓ cup (50g) sweet rice flour
- 1 tsp sugar*
- 1 scant Tbsp dry yeast*
- 3 Tbsp ground psyllium
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1¾ cups very warm water (this is hot from the tap but should not burn you)
- Prepare a 8 x 4 ½ “ bread pan with butter, olive oil or palm shortening.
- Combine dry ingredients (teff flour through salt) in a large mixing bowl and mix on low speed or stir to blend by hand.
- In a small bowl combine eggs and olive oil. Stir in the warm water.
- At low speed gradually add the liquid to the dry ingredients. Let dough come together and then scrape down sides and continue mixing at medium for about 4 minutes. Dough will be thick and sticky.
- Using a rubber spatula, turn dough out into the prepared pan. Use wet fingers to press into corners and smooth the top. Using a wet spatula will also help.
- Let dough rise in a warm spot until it rises over the top of the pan a bit. This takes about 45- 60 minutes.
- Use the middle position in your oven and preheat to 375°F.
- When the dough has risen, gently place the pan in the oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes. An instant read thermometer should read 200°F when placed in the bread and when it is out of the pan it should be a rich brown with a hollow sound.
- Cool on a wire rack.